Monday, June 7, 2010

ANNOUNCING: UNITY AND DIVERSITY IN THE BLOGGING WORLD

GREETINGS FROM AN EXCITED SOUTH AFRICA!!!
MAXMOM here...
Dear Blogging friends

The kick-off to the FIFA Soccer world cup 2010 is only three days away!
 The atmosphere here in South Africa is electric at the moment!
On FRIDAY 11JUNE 2010,
 32 Countries from across our planet
will be commencing their pursuit of winning the biggest trophy in soccer history:

THE FIFA SOCCER WORLD CUP 2010
 
Whether you are a sports fanatic or not is irrelevant!...
In my opinion, this is an incredible opportunity for us all to unite and celebrate our unity across the globe!
Yes, we are all different – in language, religion, culture, cuisine, climate, economy etc, etc –
 but we all share a bond, and that is our HUMANITY!

As I mentioned in my previous post...
 I am going to be cheering ALL 32 countries represented in this event.

I feel that it is my opportunity to LEARN about other countries and other ways of life.
Obviously, I would like our own South African team –
 "BAFANA BAFANA"
 – to do well in the tournament, but I am just so happy to be part of a
Host nation” to our guests from across the globe.

For this reason, I would like to initiate a project and I am inviting you to join me...

I am suggesting that over the next few weeks we all pool together and celebrate the various countries which are participating in the Soccer World cup. How do we do this? Well, I suggest that we put up special blogposts on the particular days when the countries are playing their matches. One of the things I am personally going to do is to try and post up something for each country. I am inviting you to join me. This is how you can participate:

The drive is called...
 “UNITY IN DIVERSITY”
This is the plan:

• Choose a country (or two...) which is playing in the world cup. It can be either your own country or another that you would like to support.

• Consult the match schedule (below) and choose a date where your chosen country is playing.

• Plan your blogpost in support of that country for one/two/three/? of the days when they are playing.

• Your post may include anything that you want to include. Use your creative energies. It could be a recipe (something that I am doing), a flag, some item of interest about the country of your choice, history, geography, dogs or anything which highlights that particular country. Just have fun and join in the vibe!

• Email me at lescaryl@mweb.co.za with the country you are supporting, the day of your blogpost and your blog address.
 
IT’S AS SIMPLE AS THAT!
 
My own country – SOUTH AFRICA – is a country which celebrates its diversity. We are a
 RAINBOW  NATION'
 and we have many cultures, races, languages and religions. We have overcome the hurdles of our past and sport an ethos of ‘Unity in diversity’. I am really hoping that we can all have fun in the blogging community with this small initiative. I am also hoping that in the next few weeks, we will all get to know one other a little better and emerge with an understanding that despite our differences, we are able to recognise our common humanity.

Some of you might remember this poem which I wrote some time ago:

MY DREAM: (In honour of ‘Max the Tour Guide’)

I have a dream...
Of friends far and wide
I have a dream...
They will be at my side...

Where I can show my country: its bountiful delights:
The animals, the plants and so many sites!
To take in its cultures, it’s food, it’s sun,
To show my guests that Africa is fun!

I dream of laughter, of happiness, of care
I dream my joy in my country – they can share.
I dream of dancing, music and good
Of one big family... One big brood.

They came, they saw, they shared my dream
A dream that was all of ours... or so it would seem.
So THANK YOU, my guests, for just being you
My dream for Africa... has just came true!

Caryl Moll
16 September 2009


---xXx---

HERE ARE THE COUNTRIES WHICH ARE PLAYING IN THE
FIFA SOCCER WORLD CUP 2010:
(AND THE DATES- IN JUNE- ON WHICH THEY ARE PLAYING):

GROUP A
South Africa 11, 16, 22
Mexico 11, 17, 22
Uruguay 11,16, 22
France 11, 17, 22
 
GROUP B
Argentina12, 17, 22
Nigeria12, 17, 22
Korea Republic 12, 17, 22
Greece 12, 17, 22
 
GROUP C
England 12, 18, 23
USA 12, 18, 23
Algeria 13, 18, 23
Slovenia 13, 18, 23
 
GROUP D
Germany 13, 18, 23
Australia 13, 19, 23
Serbia 13, 18, 23
Ghana 13, 19, 23
GROUP E
Netherlands 14, 19, 24
Denmark 14, 19, 24
Japan 14, 19, 24
Cameroon 14, 19, 24
 
GROUP F
Italy 14, 20, 24
Paraguay 14, 20, 24
New Zealand 15, 20, 24
Slovakia 15, 20, 24
 
GROUP G
Brazil 15, 20,25
Korea DPR15, 21,25
Cote d’Ivoire 15, 20, 25
Portugal 15, 21,25
 
GROUP H
Spain 16, 21, 25
Switzerland 16, 21, 25
Honduras 16, 21, 25
Chile 16, 21, 25

So are you going to participate?
Please do....?!
Let's unite and have some fun!!!


25 comments:

Angus said...

What a lovely idea. As Scotland is not playing we shall choose France - our adopted home. On each of the days 'les bleus' take to the pitch one of Madame Bays incomporable recipes will be posted !

Doris Sturm said...

What a great idea! I'm in supporting USA and Germany. I already send you an e-mail. Thanks for coming up with this great way to learn more about one another. I can't wait! I'm not so much a soccer fan, but I love learning about other countries.

Have a blessed day,
Doris :-)

the magic sleigh said...

What a interesting idea! I love the chance to learn something new, and as my son is getting ready to leave us and start his first, post graduation, job in a foreign country, I will pick it to help understand the culture and beauty of its people. ~Korea.~
-Pamela

WFT Nobby said...

What a nice idea, MaxMom, and in the spirit of unity engendered by your blog, I have finally come to a compromise with Gail regarding which team I shall support. I have agreed that I shall be backing England ('cos of Gail) and South Africa ('cos Hamish promised too). If England play S. Africa (unlikely, I know) then I am allowed to support Bafana Bafana'. I shall be posting about it all later in the week. Meanwhile, I am sending Gail out to buy the appropriate flags, although England ones are as rare as hen's teeth up here in Scotland, so she may be a while..
Toodle pip!
Bertie.

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, that's a good idea. I'm going to try to find something interesting to post re: USA.
I must tell you. That picture of the stadium caught me off guard when I saw King Toffee presiding over the whole thing! Too cute.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Go USA
Benny & Lily

Golden Samantha said...

As always, you are filled with the most superb, far-reaching ideas! I've been having trouble finding time to blog lately, but would like to participate, if even in a small way. Too bad Wales is out - my hubby's "people" so maybe just out of interest, will work on Greece - a country I just loved visiting as a kid. I think the USA will have a lot of suppliers of info! Will email you later - running out for errands while it's cool! Great post!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and Mom

Jake of Florida said...

Great idea!!! We Barkalot Bafana Bafana will cheer on your Bafana Bafana -- as well as the USA.

When our flat selves left on their trip to Vancouver, they saw a cart selling FIFA t-shirts, but the ones from the Bafana Bafana had not yet arrived. We hope they'll be there on our return!

Wirey love,

Jake and Just Harry

Cloud the Wonder Dog said...

Oh, what fun! Mom is supporting Spain, and I see they start play on the 16th. (Thanks for posting the dates.) Mom already has an idea about our blog post. We'll email you when it's ready. :-)

Much love,
Cloud and his mom

Piappies World said...

Hello there MaxMom!

Count us in this really cool exercise. We do have to consult with our soccer friends about the country we will feature since they usually help us understand the game better. We would love to take Italy if you ask Mommy. We'll send you an email. We are so excited to witness the World Cup this year for it leads us to see how beautiful a country you live in. Weeeeee

Bafana Bafana!

-Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & the Piappies

sprinkles said...

Oh how fun! I'm looking forward to reading and learning all about the various countries involved!

If there turns out to be a country not represented by anyone, please let me know and I'll see if I can maybe write soemthing up for it so no one gets left out.

Ms. ~K said...

Fun idea ~C,
Since I have such fond memories of my trip to Japan in 1990, I will support their team...I'll send you an email with details...
Hugs to all,
Kit

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We were going to do Japan as #1 lived there for 20 years, and was there when their professional soccer league was set up, but we see it's "taken" so we will do CHILE instead, where #1's brother and his family live.

Marg said...

This sounds like a really fun and good thing to do. We will support the USA and will send an email. Good for you to get all this together. It will be so much fun to learn all about the other countries.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a winning idea MaxMom!

We will cheer for USA and Italy!

Hugs, Tessa

Scout and Freyja said...

Just send you a note telling you of our country choice(s).

I'll work on a button for you this evening☺

Clive said...

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

We have family living in Spain, France and Switzerland so could pick any of those although Thierry Henry is still not forgiven here ....

However, Murray also has an auntie from Cameroon so we will pick Cameroon and look forward to putting up posts on June 14th, 19th and 24th in support of Cameroon!

A great idea, MaxMom

take care
Murray's Mom

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Great IDEA! For sure it's going to be FUN reading all the post. LOVE the poem. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

KB said...

Maxmom, you and your very smart dogs are too much! What a great idea, and a wonderful poem.

I have had many visitors from the Netherlands over the years so I'll choose them!

Autumn and Jasmine the Maltese said...

Dear Max's Mom,

I received the kinds words and support that you left on Autumn's blog. I appreciate it much and I hope I can take care of Jasmine till she live happily.

Love you lots,
Autumn & Jasmine's Mom

Jacqueline said...

A wonderful, uplifting post as always, Caryl!...I love the idea of embracing our common humanity through a "Unity in Diversity" belief=we are all so different and yet, there are universal feelings, ideals, life experiences/journeys that connect us all...The best thing about blogging for me is meeting so many fantastic people joined by their common love of animals=a wonderful barometer of one's character in my opinion!...Kisses to your babies and hugs to you, sweet friend.

The Life of Riley said...

Mum and I will be supporting New Zealand for the first round, and then after that I don’t know. What a great idea to learn about other countries through our blogs. Watch out for our posts on NZ!

Love,
Riley

George The Lad said...

Hi Maxmom, I have talked mom around to join in, because she's not into football, but does agree to unite and celebrate. Put me down for England, as I was born and bred here, and the flag of England is the St "George's" Flag, so I will put a post up on the 12th June.
See yea George xxx

Wyatt said...

Super fun! Okay, we are going to look for some cheerleader gear!

Wyatt

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Thank you for hosting the World Cup!!! We are proud to support Germany. Bravo for scoring the first goal against Mexico...we just finished watching the game here on the west coast of the United States.
We dream of a world where all are treated equal and with love and respect in freedom!
Purrrrrs from Misses Peach