Friday, April 13, 2012

GREAT HEART...





It's Autumn and the splendid colours of the season are decorating our many deciduous trees. 

 The sun rises a little later in the morning - an opportune time to try and sneak in those extra few minutes under the covers.  But I am soon guilt-tripped by the pretty sunbeams which begin to sneak through the curtains.

Another day, another gift...

It's rather an unusual time in my life ...  
I am torn between my work (surrounding the publicity of Maxdog) and a strong need to do something really different - something crafty, something practical. I've been interspersing my publicity commitments with gardening, croqueting, baking, knitting, walking dogs, etc.
  I just feel a need to get away from writing and the demands of spreading the word about MAXDOG.
So, in the past couple of weeks, my garden has been my prime calling. 





 I have spent hours there - reshaping beds, pruning and planning for Spring. 
(even though we haven't even hit winter yet)





 I have planted about 150 winter/spring bulbs and my back has ached from my efforts.  


But I have a dream - If all goes well, I should have a colourful wonderland in a couple of months time - just when winter starts to attach its morbid tentacles into my soul.  
Admittedly, I'm not the best of gardeners, but I do try.  So, I wait - in anticipation - to see what my enthusiastic efforts will produce.

The dogs have joined me during the hours of weeding, pruning and dreaming.  Toby and Tammy play constantly while the 'King' finds things to dig up... 
 Sometimes Toby joins me and sniffs at my scattered Namaqualand Daisy seeds and sometimes he makes himself comfortable in the lap of a willing household member.  


Often though, I sit under the white-stinkwood tree, sipping my tea, listening to the birds or  removing a fallen leaf from my beverage.  A garden sure is rejuvenating.


---xXx---

On the publicity side, I was invited to a pre-recording for an 'Animal Talk' radio slot on Wednesday this past week.  This is a great privilege - to be part of the Saturday radio program for Animaltalk magazine. The recording studios are located 'in' a nursery.  How appropriate. 

I spent about an hour at the studio with the presenter and shared my 'Maxdog journey'.  It was the first time that I've been in an actual recording studio.  It was fun, fascinating and a little daunting too.  "Ursh'', the presenter and CEO of Animaltalk, was extremely encouraging and I am very grateful for the opportunity of sharing my story with his readers and listeners.   Thanks to my friend, Liz, I was able to keep the butterflies at bay and keep my thoughts in order.  I am sure that the programme will provide an interesting listening opportunity to the thousands of Radio Today listeners on Saturday 21st AND 28th April.  (Yes, it is in a two-part series).


(Tune in at 10am on 21st and 28th April...details to follow)

My public-talk at the Northriding Support Group of SADAG also went very well.  I so enjoy speaking to the participants.  We share a similar mindset and I was made to feel very welcome. My short video clip and presentation was received with palpable enthusiasm. 


The support I have received since the publication of MAXDOG has been absolutely phenomenal and I am really grateful.  I was also recently invited to attend a 'Moonlight Market' and the support there too was wonderful.  




Thank you to everyone for your encouragement.

At this stage of my MAXDOG journey, however, I would welcome a bit of luck.  I really need sales - to recoup the outlay which I have spent in publishing this story.  
(To give you an idea...I need to sell another 250 books only to 'break even') 


"If only" someone prominent would embrace this tale, then it's message could serve a wider audience and my dream 'Wherever MAXDOG goes, let it do good!' will become a reality.  
I am a firm believer in shaping my own destiny, but I do wish for a little 'luck' too. 
So, I wait for that to happen...and I am sure it will - at some stage in the future.  


---xXx---

Tonight is an exciting event too...

We are going to attend a concert of one of my absolute favourite artists!!!!!



JOHNNY CLEGG




- the musician who composed my all-time-favourite song 'GREAT HEART'.  This song is so dear to my heart - it  accompanied me throughout the 18 months of writing MAXDOG
The words: 

" I am searching for a great heart to stand me by...under the African sky..." 


...kept me going through those long hours of writing and editing.
  


Please take a moment to listen to this beautiful video of

"GREAT HEART" by Johnny Clegg and the band Savuka




 As you all know...Maxdog was my own 'Great Heart'... the ultimate "Heart-dog".  
So tonight we'll be going off to Gold Reef City to attend Johnny's concert. I can't wait!!!  

Perhaps, one-day, I'll have the opportunity of telling him how much his incredible song helped me in my own MAXDOG journey.

That's all for now.  Have a wonderful, happy weekend. And to all my friends who are ill, suffering or disillusioned remember...


"LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX!"


Sending lotsaluv


  

11 comments:

Angus said...

Is it a digital broadcas ? If so let us know and you'll have a happy band listening in . Enjoy Johnny Clegg !

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

I can't remember if I ever told you how much I enjoyed reading MaxDog and following your journey with him. I had hoped to write a book about Ginger, one of my "heart dogs" who passed away in 2003. Instead my website was born. I am finding myself going back to your older posts and reading more of the posts mentioned in your book. I've only just started but plan to spend a lot of time later on reading about Max when he was writing his own posts. Your book had a wonderful effect on me. I only wish it would one day be sold in the States. I have a lot of "doggie" friends that I would love to give a copy to as a cherished gift.

Thank you for MaxDog!

Love,
Linda and the Ten-Pack!

Mrs. JP said...

oh, I love that first picture looking up thru your fall tree. Your gardens always look great.
Enjoy the concert! I like that song.

Boondocks Love Shack Pack said...

Your gardens are gorgeous!!

AROOOOOF!
Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

Two French Bulldogs said...

looks great and look at all those helpers
Benny & Lily

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We love all the beautiful photos of your flowerbeds, and your crocheted quilt!
Tammy, Toby and King Coffee,, look like they are having the time of their lives- laying around relaxing.
You are so busy, I don't see how you can keep going and going and going.
love
tweedles

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hello Caryl! Its been awhile, and it's good to read your post! Your life has such a hum of productivity and beauty. Summer will find us this week, just as winter starts to approach your world.

I do hope your book continues to find ways to 'do good.' Did you get my message about my friend who I told about your book? She has had books published via a 'main-stream' publisher and looked at your blogs and promised that she would mention it to her publisher. She also told me she is quite consumed with working on another book--I've heard nothing since then.

H and Flo said...

Gardening is great for the soul!

WFT Nobby said...

Hi Caryl, I do hope you enjoyed the concert, and are also taking time to relax at home. Your garden looks wonderful. I always feel guilty about the woeful state of my own garden, given that my father's side of the family are all green fingered, a trait I sadly did not inherit. (I have my mother's impatience instead....)
Best of luck with the book sales. I'm sure you'll break even in time, and just think about your achievement in getting the book finished and selling so many to date.
Cheers,
Gail.

kingsland kennels said...

very nice blog and nice pictures!!!

Suka said...

Your photos are beautiful! Such a lovely yard and it looks so peaceful and comforting. And the photos of all your beautiful pups are wonderful, too!

Congratulations on all the amazing publicity you have been doing! I am sure you will have luck, and paws/fingers crossed luck comes your way!

Suka and K