Monday, April 2, 2012

"SCOTCH & SODA"

GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!


Living with a Veterinary Student has its pitfalls, but it certainly adds excitement to our usually mundane lives - especially at holiday time when the entire animal entourage takes the trip from Veterinary school back 'Home'.  Yes, you guessed it, 'Home' is 'Our house', which has now been converted into a makeshift zoo. 

Suddenly there are a lot more animals than I bargained for. More water bowls, more care. We walk miles to find the perfect food for the little souls and spend hours ensuring their comfort. By chance, they have stumbled on the jackpot - animal heaven!  Who doesn't want to be an animal in our household?


Since we now have more 'visitors' in our home, it requires extra cleaning and vacuuming - to clear up the welcoming footprints from the dogs and sweep away wayward wood-shavings.   Even our ever-patient and faithful cleaner - 'Joyce' - looks on and shakes her head, especially when an unfamiliar face makes it's sudden and unexpected appearance in Miss 'R's bedroom. Sometimes I try to ignore the menagerie, but it's near impossible.  Honestly, however, I love all these new little creatures that suddenly come into my life.

Miss "R" had a brainwave two days ago - "Scotch" (her guinea-pig) appeared lonely, she said.
(Above: "Scotch")

  Both she and I agree that no creature deserves to be alone - especially if they are sociable creatures.  Much to the "Boss"s horror, we duly trotted off to the supplier of Guinea Pigs yesterday morning and selected the 'perfect' companion for dear little 'Scotch'.  

Thankfully, "Scotch" has had his gentlemans' operation, so females are now definitely endorsed companions.  

Well, we arrived at the guinea pig display cages.  I had seen one during the week that I thought may be 'the' one and wanted Miss 'R' to see her too.  She is also a 'bed-haired' guinea-pig - the cutests little mite ever.  Miss 'R' has called her 'Soda'.  So, now our Guinea-pig couple are affectionately called:

"SCOTCH & SODA"

 Left: "Soda" ,  Right: "Scotch"

To all the animals out there, please note..
.
THIS ZOO IS NOW FULL!

14 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Oh aren't Scotch and Soda sweet. And such great names. I can quite see why animals are queuing up to be let in to you household!
My first (and only) childhood pet was a guinea pig called Arthur. He lived to be eight years old. No-one else I have spoken too has heard of a guinea pig living this long. Perhaps Miss R could comment?
Cheers, Gail.

Dexter said...

I am glad you brought Soda home because all furries like to see one of their own around the estate.

Slobbers,
Mango

Asta said...

Full???Just when I was thinking that moving in wif you would be the most wondewful idea..I think Soda is adowabull and am so glad that Scotch won't be alone anymowe..Ilove theiw bed-haiw
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Ms. ~K said...

Hello C, I just spent several minutes catching up with you. I watched every minute of the Annie video...Bravo to you and Toby, the star of the show!
Hugs from Georgia!
Kit

Angus said...

Toffee clearly remains in charge .

Molly the Airedale said...

The guinea piggies are adorable and I love the names Scotch and Soda!

Love ya lots
Mitch

Scout and Freyja said...

I just wanna kiss those cute, little piggy noses, yes, I do. BUT, if I did my lips would swell up and my face would turn red 'cause I am allergic to their shavings☺.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Oh they are so gorgeous. What a great time to have the family home. Enjoy them all. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Two French Bulldogs said...

BOL, bet she keeps a BIG eye on you guys....
Benny & Lily

Beth said...

Scotch and Soda are adorable! Have a Happy Easter, Caryl.
Beth

The Thuglets said...

Scotch and Soda..what brilliant names! They are so cute.
What a lovely photo of Toffee.
Have a great day
Big Nose Pokes
The Thugletsx

Sheila and Bob said...

You say the Zoo is full, we bet if a furry something needed help and a home, the door would swing wide open.


Sheila & Bob

kingsland kennels said...

The pictures are so cute and nice, thanks for shairng...

kingsland kennels said...

The pictures are so cute and nice, thanks for shairng...