Friday, May 18, 2012

GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!
(Above: "King Toffee - aged 14 years - on his throne)

Dear friends,
Winter is brooding and we are expecting our first serious cold front this weekend. Gas-bottles have been refilled for the heaters, blankets retrieved from cupboards and warm meals lined up.  I don't particularly enjoy winter, but hey, we go with the flow.

The great news is that "Soda" (Miss "R"s female guinea-pig) is the proud mother of two beautiful Guinea pig babies. They are absolutely adorable little creatures and already have nice homes lined up.





This development came as an unexpected surprise.  It's been difficult to resist the temptation to simply keep the duo for ourselves, but I am sure they are going to be greatly loved by their new owners. 

 If you would like to read about the whole pregnancy/birth guinea-pig experience from "Miss R's" point-of-view, 
please click HERE.
Soda really is the sweetest of mothers.

---xXx---

On another note, I recently purchased a large bag of Eukanuba dog food for Toby.  I  was most amused at the 'give-away' which went along with it....
An "Eat Slow" dog bowl...????
I was keen to try it out on Toby, because he usually devours his food within 25 seconds.  
Would it slow him down?

Yes, it did slow him down, but we spent a good minute laughing at his attempts to overcome the obstacles.  The result, however, is that I don't have the heart to continue his torture.
What will they think of next?
 In the evenings, after dinner, we usually spend time watching television.  
Toby and Tammy settle down next to me during this time. Sometimes I prefer watching them!
   I had to share this photo of the happy couple - squeezed together between the chairs, with Toby's "comforter blanket" ( a mat retrieved from the bathroom) wedged between them.

 (Above: "Aunt Tam - age 12 - and Toby's incredible 'nurturer')
(Above: Beautiful TOBY - the "Sprinkling of Maxdog")

---xXx---

I would also like to take the opportunity to wish one of my special friends - Darryl - all the best for today..
  (Darryl is a dedicated guide-dog puppy walker and is getting his new guide-dog puppy today)

 Darryl, I hope the new little one will fill your home with joy and puppy-breath. We admire your commitment to make a difference in someone's world.  And we can't wait to meet her!

Wishing all my friends a really happy (and warm) weekend.
Sending lotsaluv


11 comments:

The Life of Riley said...

I love that last photo of Toby!

Toby's "Eat Slot Bowl" would drive Riley and Enzo mad. They eat as fast as they can, then swap positions to check each other's bowls for any remaining flavours and crumbs.

Wishing you a good weekend.

WFT Nobby said...

So often, it is more interesting watching the dogs than the TV....
The wee guinea-piglets are so cute. Well done Soda and Miss 'R'. I can see why you might have been tempted to keep them.
Cheers,
Gail.

Millie and Walter said...

Those Guinea piglets are so cute. I can see why it would be difficult to part with them. I love the way Toby and Tam squish together between the chairs. That is so funny.

Cindy

How Sam Sees It said...

How cute! I'd be wanting to keep them too!

Sam

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

It was so nice to see a picture of the KING. I still remember from your book how he wasn't real happy when MaxDog first came to live with you.

Great seeing pictures of Toby and Tammy too.

:o)

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Hi Maxmom, nice to see you again. All the kids look very well. My mom adds water to our raw bison and vegetable meals to slow us down when we eat.

Molly the Airedale said...

The Guinea pigs are just too cute!
I had a breakfast bowl at one point and it didn't slow me down much at all.

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Everybuddy, mum makes me (Stella) use one of those bowls too cause I am a greedy guts hehehe. I don't care what sort of bowl I have as long as there is food in it.

Your little guinea pigs made mum go squeeeeeee. They are so darn cute. We love the photos of you all relaxing together. Have a wonderful weekend. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Two French Bulldogs said...

what adorable little guinea pigs. Toffee you will always be King of your castle...Great shot of Tammy and Toby
Snuggles
Benny & Lily

Mary Lou said...

MAXMOM....
I have missed your Blog posts!! They are always so beautifully written!! And your pictures!! Oh!! I wish I possessed the photography skills that you do!! ;-D
Spring is in full swing around here!! Flowers blooming, animals mating.... It is difficult for me to imagine that in South Africa you are preparing for Winter!! ;-}
Hee, hee, hee.... Toby looks like he is attempting to ingest his food in a maze!! ;op

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I hope your winter treats you well my friend.
How did those babys grow so fast? It seems impossible!
The eating bowl looks very interesting.. an sure would slow down the gulping of food.
love
tweedles