Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lessons for the 'Sweet Hooligan'...

GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!
It's the 'Sweet Hooligan' TOBY here...

Woof! Woof!  Hello there to all my fur-buddies across the world!
Maxmom said I should write the blogpost today.  Aint that wonderful?  I have so much news to share! Guess what?  I have a new neighbour…. meet 'Jeanie'!  This sweet doggie is going to be living next door to me forever...in her new 'forever home'.
Welcome Jeanie!




....but first I want to tell you my other news...

I am a happy doggie…a very happy doggie!  You see, I am getting more attention lately. Now that Maxdog’s book is “done”,  Maxmom has a lot more time for me. Woof! It’s seems to be becoming a regular thing – each day I am linked up on a leash.

“HEEL Toby!” Maxmom calls, 




...and then she marches me down the road WITHOUT my special ‘Aunt Tam’! 
Poor Aunt Tam is left whining at the gate, while King Toffee barks up a frenzy in grave solidarity.

“You need individualised training,Toby,  Maxmom insists.  
“ Aunt Tam' has become a bad influence!” A bad influence? My 'Aunt Tam'?

It’s been a while since Maxmom barked out orders to me.  My ears are whizzing somewhat.

 “Toby, HEEL! … Toby, SIT!... Toby DOWN!...STAY!...COME!  …and all that!” 

Maxmom thinks I’m rusty with all my commands.  She says that I’m becoming more of a “Sweet hooligan” by the minute.  To tell you the truth, I’ve not missed the training much. 

For the past six months, I have mostly been hanging around Maxmom’s feet, getting up to mischief and playing with Aunt Tam.  Sometimes we've been on walks, but not as often as I'd like.  Maxmom has just been too distracted.
  


I’ve learned lots of fun things from ‘Aunt Tam’ – like pulling up bits of grass, barking at the neighbour’s cat, creative landscaping and chasing birds in the garden.  I’ve also given her a roll for her dogfood (if you know what I mean) and sometimes I just sit on top of her. 

In the mornings, I sneak up onto Maxmom’s bed….  She doesn’t seem to mind that much because that’s the time I get an ear-rub and a reminder in my ears that she loves me.  Then I roll on my back again for the tummy rub.  Bliss!


There are times when I simply take over the couch...


Maxmom also reckons that I am usurping the visitors.  

Usually I try and wrap up the visitors in blankets (to welcome them, of course). 
My "visitor’s welcome routine" is quite complicated.  When they arrive, I fetch a blanket or a loose carpet and wrap them up, snorting softly at them with my tightly screwed up eyes.   My cuteness is a pushover – they always smile and laugh.  

Also, if I roll on my back, I am likely to get a tummy scratch.  Miraculously all their worries disappear.  I know how to deal with humans, so I can't understand why I need more training??? 

Eventually Maxmom shouts

 “Toby, go to BED!” 

Then I slink into my crate in the kitchen and watch them all from a distance, and then fall asleep.  There are often treats hidden in my crate, so I don't mind going in there.

Well, yesterday during the ‘free time’ of my personalised training routine, my pretty new neighbour – ‘Jeanine’ came out of her garden with her human to meet me.  





We got to romp and play in the grassy patch near the park.  She is a happy little thing – I think she has some Golden in her too.  Jeanie tells me that she has just found her own ‘Forever Home’ – next door to mine!  Apparently her previous humans abandoned her, but now she has been adopted from the SPCA.  Why would anyone have abandoned her in the first place?  What a cutie Jeanine is!  We romped like lunatics! 

 Welcome to the neighbourhood, Jeanie!  Woof-Woof!

Tell me…am I a ‘SWEET HOOLIGAN’ or what?
Lotsalicks



Oh BTW, Maxmom says that I must also tell you that the two personalised copies of ‘Maxdog’ 
(for the winners of the Maxdog –give-away competition)
 are now on their way to their “Forever Homes” too.  
Bark out loud!

18 comments:

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

You most certainly are a sweet hooligan Toby. xxxx

Scout and Freyja said...

Yes, you are a sweet hooligan AND you are a wonderful new friend and welcoming committee for Jeanie! What a sweet and pretty girl. I have a feeling that she has found a new, and better, fur-ever home than what she has experienced in her past.

Berts Blog said...

I am so glad you are getting to spend more time with your human. And that means lots more pictures of your handsome face.

My Vickie thinks that you and I look like brothers. So I gotta ask ya bro....do you love swimming and water as much as I do.

What are your feelings about tennis balls. Oh yeah and what about cats. not all cats but just cats like Allred.

I like your new neighbor. She is beautiful.

bert

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Hi Toby, better make a good impression - she's a cutie. Shouldn't be too hard, eh?

Molly the Airedale said...

Jeanie looks like a fun pal!
Molly has been hearing those same command words, Toby. She has a long way to go before she is a good dog like you are!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Toby.... UNFORTUNATELY... I have found that when the Mom has TOO much time on her paws... that BOSSY streak Does sorta "COME" out. hehehe

Suka said...

hey Toby,

So furry happy to see you back and blogging! You are looking as handsome as ever!

Your new friend Jeanie is a beauty, and congratulations to her finding her forever home. You two look like you had a blast!

Your mom must make a video of your "Visitor's Welcome" routine. BOL! It sounds pawsome!

Suka

P.S. The photo of you curled up sleeping is precious!

sprinkles said...

I love that picture of you all curled up and sleeping. So precious!

Your neighbor is very pretty.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I sure wished you lived close so you could give me lessons on training, even though I used to train all my dogs when I was younger. Our Hunter is just so small, so I've started using the harness because he chokes as he pulls. I know I really do need to buckle down and train us both. So happy that you've met Jeanie and are best buds now. Love the photos Caryl. Avril's mom and dad are coming in this week and I can't wait to meet them.
Hugs & lots of love, Noreen & Hunter

H and Flo said...

What beautiful photos of Toby and Jeannie! It's great to have doggy play mates who tire us out, sometimes that stops the creative landscaping!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Toby
I am so happy for your new friend next door-Annie! What fun you will have together.
But I also know that you will love all the attention your mom is giving you- because I just know you want to please her.
Right Toby? I know you do!
Your cuteness is loved by everyone.
If I came to your house-I would love to be wrapped up in a blanket!
Oh yes Toby- one more thing,,, I am so excited that the MAXDOG book I won- is on its way!
I know that sweet AYESHA is just as excited!
Keep up the good work sweet Hooligan!
love
tweedles

Lorenza said...

Yes!
You are the sweetest holligan I have ever seen!
Glad you are having lots of fun with Jeanie!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Two French Bulldogs said...

Toby your new neighbor is such a cutie. We are glad you are getting all that well deserved attention.
Benny & Lily

WFT Nobby said...

Toby, those 'lessons' you have learned from Tammy makes me think she wants to be a terrier! But your greeting visitors routine something you could teach me! Your new neighbour Jeannie is a cutie and then some. More friends to play with and more attention. Sounds like things are going OK for you, pal.
Toodle pip!
Bertie.

MySpecialDoggies said...

Hi Toby
Neeli wishes you would live closer so she could play with you, Aunt Tam & Jeannie. You are such a sweet hooligan

Woofs
Nadine & golden Neeli

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Toby, we know all about training. Sheesh. Sit here, down there, come here, stay there, it goes on and on. Still it seems to make mum happy so that's all that counts. Take care mate. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Mary Lou said...

Toby....
Jeanie is adorable!! And she looks like a mutt!! Do you know what her "breed" is, by any chance? Oh, wait. I forgot for a fleeting second that I was writing to a dog!! And they could care less about "breeds"!! Anyway, Jeanie looks Beautifully Unique!! ;)
"Why would anyone have abandoned her in the first place?" Because humans can be stupid!! I am glad that Jeanie has found a loving forever home!! Just glad.... And I am happy for your friendship!! ;op
Love, Raelyn.... And Rose, my BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE "Mystery Dog"!!

Mrs. JP said...

That one on one training time is so necessary but it does take TIME. Doesn't it seem that they are more relaxed/tired after those sessions when they're required to think vs. react?
Your new neighbor has found her new heaven on earth and a buddy/hooligan friend forever.