Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Early morning alone ...

(Above: I can't make 'head or tail' of this, lol!)

When "the Boss" is away, I rely heavily on the company of my dogs.  Without them, the house would feel stark and empty.  But they never fail to light up my life.  My trio of Goldens is constantly around my ankles, watching my every move.  With them by my side, my 'empty nest' is never quite empty.  

Lexi, in particular, is a cuddler of note and offers all the affection she can muster - especially in the mornings.  During the night, she is crated next to my bed while the other two, older dogs sleep comfortably on the mattress in the corner. This way I am able to channel Lexi's endless need to romp and play to more appropriate times.  When the dawn starts making its appearance, her need stretch her legs surfaces and she begins to moan.  As I open my eyes, I am met with a determined expression.
  "Time to get up, Maxmom! Hurry up", she moans. 
If I succumb to the urge to enter dreamland again, she begins to bark, which ropes in the other dogs.  "Sleeping in" is simply not an option for me.

I get up, put on something warm and open her crate.  By this time Toby and Tammy are also dancing at my feet.  There is no time to waste.  It becomes a mad scramble as they race down the passage. They wait patiently as I fumble with the keys and rub the sleep from my eyes. Tails wag furiously.

Finally, the house alarm is deactivated and we make our way through the lounge and to the patio door.  All twelve paws prance anxiously - they can't wait to feel the grass under their feet.  The door slides open and they dash outside.  It's time to do their early morning business and read the news of the night.  I turn my back on them, zip up my jacket and retreat 
to put the kettle on.

Five minutes later, I'm back in bed with my computer on my lap and a cup of tea on the bedside table. The dogs are back at my side with renewed energy - doggie smiles painted all over their sweet faces. I can't resist Lexi's cuteness and I invite her up onto the bed.  
"Come Lexi, up!"
She still hasn't worked out that she needs to rely on her back legs to project herself forward and upward.  It's extremely funny and she looks like a four-legged pogo-stick in her feeble attempts to jump  in a confined area  Finally, I help her up and am rewarded with a thorough face-wash. She rolls over on her back and invites me to rub her tummy.  I stroke her as I boot up my laptop.  Toby looks on forlornly until I invite him onto the bed too.  Soon there'll be no space for me.  Thankfully ageing "Aunt Tam" prefers to leave these things to the younger ones and retreats to her own bed in the corner.

There is something so comforting about having a pack of Goldens by my side in the morning.  They light up my spirits and urge me to embrace the day ahead.

But admittedly I still miss 'The Boss' when he is away.

("Come home quickly, my love - I need someone to make the tea!")

Wishing all my readers a happy Wednesday and remember...

"LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX!"

10 comments:

24 Paws of Love said...

Sounds like a lovely morning routine and a wonderful way to greet the day with all that golden love.

A home is not a home with dogs so you are never alone.

Have a lovely day!

Carol from Australia said...

As always, beautifully expressed, Caryl.

MySpecialDoggies said...

True - thank goodness for our four legged friends - love the picture

Woofs
Nadine & goldens Neeli & Elle

H and Flo said...

Haha! Just so long as The Boss knows his place!

I have only taken Elsie's sleeping pen down in the last couple of weeks; she's really good at staying on her mat (or just next to it on the floor if she's hot) but come alarm o'clock she's up and exploring the room - a muzzle in my back or on my feet is a sign that the snooze button is as good as useless. I refuse to get up when she's wandering though - I don't want her to think what she's doing by getting up is causing me to react - I'm hoping that one day she'll be like Flo in the mornings and have to be roused, alarm or no alarm!

Millie and Walter said...

Since we added Walter to our pack there is no sleeping in for us either. That just means that I have to remind myself to go to bed at a decent time.

Cindy

Piappies World said...

Having Tammy, Toby and Lexi sure can fill up your day, MaxMom but having the Boss around sure completes your happy home. We would try to keep you company, too.

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Max, Wai-Pai & Forgie

WFT Nobby said...

Lovely description of the early morning routine. But Bertie is offering to come round and give Lexi some lessons in how to bounce!
Cheers, Gail.

Mrs. JP said...

I really like your description of the morning dance. It's more like mayhem here! :) Then, after the bladders are relieved peace comes again. Stay warm my dear friend,,,glad you are back among your conveniences of home.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sounds like a great way to start the day
Benny & Lily

The Life of Riley said...

Dogs really are great company when we are home alone!

I had a "one person - two dog household" last week too, as the other human went to the US for work - you should have seen the wagging tails last Sunday at 6.30am when he returned.

I hope "The Boss" is back now too, and his time away went well.